Protee Lighting Simplified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protee Lighting Simplified

As a newbie on here there is a lot of overwhelming information on which lighting to use with the Protee sensor mat. After trying around 10 different combinations of halogens, that were available at my local hardware store (as recommended by other forum users) with many different configurations nothing seemed to work properly.

So, what ended up working the best? Simple answer, follow Protee's recommendations. I got everything from Amazon in 2 days. See the links below. You will need to take the bulbs and transformers out of the cans where you will put the Protee Bulbs into. If you need any help with that let me know, it's quite simple.

A huge shout out to Jamie PROTEE UK for his excellent customer service, and patience with me even though I didn't take their advice the first time.

I got to play around on it last night for the first time successfully and this Protee sensor mat is spot-on and accurately humbling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LL...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000G...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0090...b_b_asin_title

Please note, you will want the lights to look like a figure 8 without overlapping. This pic shows a slight overlap which can create a shadow. Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20200113-161300.png Views:	0 Size:	895.6 KB ID:	238048

Also, very important, you want the light over the mat centered directly over the center of the mat (not the tee location) and pointing straight down.

When all else fails, or if you get stuck on anything, don't try to do it yourself...let me say that again..do NOT waste your time just to mess things up. Contact Jamie PROTEE UK or ProTee United Their customer support is off the charts and they are all enthusiastic, sincere, and helpful. Also, they have the most accurate knowledge out there on their amazing Protee sensor mats.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 01-13-2020, 10:25 PM.

Congrats....now it's time to just play golf and have fun......

Comment

• DejaVu
      DejaVu commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes sir. I love this thing.

Awesome DejaVu - I'm glad I waited for you to test it out, I'm at the point of buying the lights. How many of those do I need, 2 of each item you describe, I think? I guess I need that front Halogen - over the putting sensor, even if I do not have a putting sensor? Is that picture of the figure 8 your setup, or someone else's? If it's yours you say that you want the figure 8 without causing any overlap - but the pic has a slight overlap, so I guess you took that pic before you got the light beam repositioned in the correct spot - is that correct?

Wow, contacting you by PM to make sure I have it just right... Thanks a million!!! See you on the online course sometime soon, when I finish my ProTee Sim setup and build out of my shed (hopefully will be done working on it by end of Jan, or first week of Feb)

Comment

• DejaVu
      DejaVu commented
      Editing a comment
      That is correct. You will need two lights for it to work the best. The second light isn't just for the sensor Matt but to maximize the ball streak. I tried it with one but it works much better with two.

in the links above you will need 2 bulbs, 2 fixtures to mount them in (you may be able to find just the can/fixtures cheaper somewhere else..because the bulbs and transformers they come in them are junk and I threw them away...but the fixture works perfect to the correct halogen bulbs in), and you will only need 1 transformer. P.m. me for details of how to wire them up. It's very simple using a cut off extension cord.

You are also correct in that I took the picture before everything was finalized. Currently there is no overlap.

It takes a lot of patience but it's worth it in the end. Life would have been a lot simpler if I just followed directions from Protee.

Hey, just a couple of questions on these halogen bulbs... I always wondered how distracting it my be to hit under this type of lighting and then I read that the UV light emitted by halogens may cause skin cancer? And, that they can heat up to 500 degrees F posing a potential fire hazard (not to mention a heck of a lot of heat in the summer time)? Wow, I'm not sure I can tolerate either of those conditions when playing sim golf, just so my launch monitor reads the ball flight...

Are these two things I found accurate, what have others discovered?

Comment

Honestly Brettster i think you may be to smart for your own good. However, maybe not. For example; some people go into Walmart without grabbing a disinfectant wipe for their cart, others would refuse to touch a cart without it. Then some people wear safety masks into the same store; while others do not. It's all up to you what works best for you.

Again, don't take my advice on anything ever; consult a professional in each and every category that you are referring to whether implied or not.

I once heard that it never hurts to be careful on each and every step of your journey and to turn over every rock.

I'm just a simple golf simmer (not a professional) and it's been a ton of fun finally playing TGC 2019 lately. Hope you can get there soon.

Good luck Brettster

Comment

• Rovers1883
        Rovers1883 commented
        Editing a comment
        nope it don't get hot in my pro tee sim not even close to being too warm it’s all good

• DejaVu
        DejaVu commented
        Editing a comment
        I second what Rovers1883 said...it doesn't get hot in my room from them either. Not sure about the skin cancer, but I sent you a PM on your flooring Brettster

• Brettster
        Brettster commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks DejaVu and Rovers1883 - I'm back on track to looking at flooring now... I'll post separately about that.

You are definitely going beyond the obv imo. This thread is supposed to be about the lighting simple as that. Pm me about your floors etc and I will try to help you.

Comment

The lights emit a level of infra red light rquired for the sensors, they can get war but having 2 sims on 12 hours a day, multiple installs and hundreds and hundreds of users, never once heard of any catching fire. They would trip out before they caught fire if your wiring is up to reasonable date

Comment

I wanted to post a huge shoutout to DejaVu. He helped me get both lights up and working using only one transformer. I’ll be getting with Jamie at ProTee shortly to get the rest of my system fine tuned. Can’t wait!

Comment

This is just what I was looking for! I'm at the point of installing lights, and the ones that came with the second hand setup I purchased from a forum member are of the retrofit variety, and not ideal for my new home install with open 2x12 floor joists above.

My only remaining question is, what is inherently different about the light projected from LEDs that make them insurable for our application? Is it the lack of "infrared"?

I'm just trying to learn. I own an Ace hardware store and I can source just about anything, but I'm having terrible getting direct answers to some of the simpler questions about functionality.

If we can figure out what works and I can come up with a parts list, I would be willing to help members acquire what they need for lighting, however, I don't want to step on ProTee's toes, as they sell the lights themselves, obviously. Hopefully I don't get banned for even saying this much.
            Last edited by Bvretr; 05-29-2020, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• PROTEE UK
              PROTEE UK commented
              Editing a comment
              The supplied lights are par 36.
              Ar111 50w 24/25 degree2950/3000kelvin.
              Please use only the suggested ligh type.
              No other led light etc should be near by and if so should be able to be switched separately.
              The area in the sim should be quite dark in terms of wall finish.
              For more info email jamie@proteeuk.co.uk

Edit: I meant unsuitable.

Comment

Hi Bvretr I'm glad that this was "just what I was looking for" according to you, but it isn't?!? Well then, look no further. Again, look no further. #1 always follow your recommendations from the manufacturer...aka PROTEE UK ProTee United bc they have spent thousands of hours already testing this stuff and will still support you even though you're not following their advice sort of in advance..?!? That's golden of them. Amazing actually. However, if you own an ACE store and are obv good do it yourselfer like me, then maybe you want to just figure it out yourself bc lighting should be easy...right? Well, I'm the same as you and unfortunately realized through tons and I mean tons of angst and grit bc I thought I could make other lighting work (easily attainable from a hardware store) for the sensetive (good thing) i.r. sensors but I couldn't. So, if you want it simplified (not complicated like I feel writing this to you) just follow my links down your happy rabbit hole and you can thank me later. Happy golfing and the Protee is off the charts awesome, but within a yard of you hitting your bad shots so never blame it when you get it dialed in. And yes, it's worth learning patience over. 👍🤘

Comment

• Bvretr
                Bvretr commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, let's not get carried away, haha. Selling shingles doesn't make me a roofer, as I like to say. I'm juuuuust handy enough to get myself into trouble.

Bvretr for the best readings/results again follow what jamie@protee.co.uk said PROTEE UK However, if you look at my build I have more lights on in here than Vegas and it still reads 99% with everything on. Congrats on choosing the Protee. Me and my other +3 buddies know how we hit with our eyes closed and the Protee doesn't disappoint us even slightly nor shall it you. I would HIGHLY suggest getting ahold of Jamie when you are ready to configure it and you will be amazed at what he and the entire Protee team can do for you. 👍

Comment

• Bvretr
                Bvretr commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks so much for the help. I will skip the hassle and stick with what ProTee recommends.

They've been very helpful thus far with my license transfer and Jamie has been corresponding with me regarding whether or not I should upgrade my older style cameras.

I really appreciate it!
                Last edited by Bvretr; 05-29-2020, 05:43 AM.

• Stonebattle
                Stonebattle commented
                Editing a comment
                From my view, 99% reads is one heck of an accomplishment. I also would like to see a photo of your setup as was mentioned by another member. Normally, I get 3 to 5 misreads per round, which is several times what your are getting.
                I'm wondering if you get some unusual wedge readings. For example, a horizontal launch angle of 2 degrees with a club path of 2 degrees and a 10+ degree open face angle with your setup?

• Brettster
                Brettster commented
                Editing a comment
                Stonebattle - do you have the upgraded, most recent ProTee interface software? I think they did something to fix wedges.

Use the par36 lights recommended by the manufacturer. As Mars Blackman once said, “do what Michael Jordan says.”

Comment

• Bvretr
                Bvretr commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you!

So, if you don't use the transformer, what happens? You just overload the lights and burn out the bulbs faster?

Comment

DejaVu - I’m finally getting there! Anyway - I’ll look but I think you sent me email info on getting the lights wired? I need that now… if you could please resend? I have 2 of the spot halogen bulbs and 2 of the lighting assemblies you recommended and 1 transformer… I see the transformer is black/white coming in (makes sense for load=black and neutral=white, then 2 reds going out? Are the two reds wired to bulbs/assemblies?

also - I’m most interested when you say this:
                I have more lights on in here than Vegas and it still reads 99% with everything on.
                so - I’m most interested in running my completed ProTee with other lights on, is that possible? I know you say you’re used to hitting in the dark, but I really want to make sure I can hit with some type of ambient light on - though if you read the VCAM/HCAM help document from ProTee it says to remove ALL ambient light, and make sure you have a dark background (I assume that means walls), and to close all curtains? Can you please take a photo of your setup - and how bright/dim it is when you are playing on you ProTee?

I’d like to find out a few things… 1. I see in most pics black side curtains continuing to the back of the ProTee sensor hitting mat - does that mean I need black walls back there, dark walls, or black curtains behind me so the the VCAM can pick up ball flight when hitting? 2. If I have black curtains there (behind where the VCAM sees the ball), does that mean I can have some ambient light?

I’ll also send you a PM… thanks,
                Brett

Comment

Working...
                X